Based on the principals Darrieus Design.
(Design description, technical and scientific challenges, concept, solution and technical risk.)
Small scale HAWTs and VAWTs have historically all suffered from one major failing and this pertains to their ability to handle high winds or turbulent conditions.
Currently there isn’t a variable pitch vertical axis wind turbine system available anywhere in the world available for general sale. The technical difficulties that need to be over come have proved too taxing even for research institutions which have no limitations in terms of time or product cost. Recent history has recorded few designs which have provided a slightly improved performance over existing fixed pitch systems; however the mechanisms used have been extremely complex and proved woefully unreliable.
Variable pitch systems have been used extensively in aerospace over the past 70 years; however the control system we need to incorporate is very different. HAWT use a common systems used a universal pitch change mechanism, i.e. all the blades move together through the same pitch increment. This is used to vary either the speed or thrust of the system, but since the air is moving through the device in a uniform manor, the method of control remains simple. Since our application is in the vertical axis, we have a very different requirement and need to affect pitch changes in a much more controlled and independent way every revolution, which is very difficult. This is the reason why this system has not been used by any previous company, and indeed why all other attempts by research establishments have ultimately failed, this is a totally new design.
In order to maximise the VAWT efficiencies, a pitch control system must make many incremental changes to blade pitches on every revolution of the turbine, in order to maximise lift, minimise drag and stabilise the system in all wind conditions.
OUR TURBINE ADVANTAGES
Our groundbreaking approach is set to achieve this for the VAWT market, making it a clear leader for the urban environment, and a strong contender and alternative in rural settings.
- VAWTs are more suited to urban environments than HAWTs because of their ability to handle turbulent airflows better.
- Have a lower noise output, operate at lower R.P.M creates less wear and tear (longer lasting), vibration and hence are safer.
- Ability to handle turbulent airflows better. Especially in Urban areas.
- Smaller external dimensions will make it less noticeable. .
- Produce more energy consistently than any other VAWT of comparable size.
- They are more aesthetically pleasing than HAWTs.
- Requires lower wind speeds to start than any VAWT currently available.
- Will maintain a constant speed throughout varying wind speeds and under loads required from the Permanent Magnet Generator.
- Has a much broader operating envelope (low and high wind speed tolerances) most shutdown
- or peak at 25 Metres per second / 50 mph
- Requires no external electricity power to operate the control mechanisms, it is purely mechanical control mechanisms.
- External braking system is not required, utilizes aerodynamic properties rather than large additional parts. Mechanical braking systems need more servicing, inevitably wear out and the greater weight makes the turbine harder to start and stop.
- Reduces overall installation cost (less expensive electronics required for control and grid tie interface).
- Our groundbreaking approach is set to achieve this for the VAWT market, making it a clear leader for the urban environment, and a strong contender and alternative in rural settings.
A project with this Potential for Global requirement will need significant Investment, Foresight, Infrastructure and Management.
We are seeking Partners, Investors or Owners to take this and change the design of VAWT designs forever and make Clean Energy accessible for all.
Intellectual Property. Potential IP Licencing revenue is huge and significant protection needs to be in place so we require a large Company to implement this.
The technology behind our VAWT is the subject of pending UK patent application GB1710753.3. This application is currently undergoing accelerated completion as part of the UKIPO's Green Channel programme. We are hopeful that the application will be successful soon.
Meadowcroft Farm Barn
BURY, BL8 3PX
+44 7968 073 404
Contact us if you would like to:
- Discuss investment in Vertogen
- Open negotiations to buy the Company
- Receive updates on our progress
- Make contact from the media or trade associations
- Simply interested in cutting edge renewable energy technology